theSimple, Inc.("theSimple," "we," "us," or "our") will provide to you ("you," "your," or "Customer"), on the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement, Residential Energy Management Services (the "Agreement") services to manage and optimize the use of the heating and cooling systems in your home, which may include energy efficiency, peak load reduction and system diagnostic services (each a "Service" and collectively the "Services").
The terms and conditions in the "GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS" section below are applicable to all Services unless otherwise indicated.
We may change the Services and/or the terms and conditions of this Agreement in the future. Unless this Agreement or applicable law specifies otherwise, we will give you thirty (30) days prior notice of any significant change to this Agreement. If you find the change unacceptable, you have the right to cancel your Service(s). However, if you continue to receive Service(s) after the end of the notice period (the "Effective Date") of the change, we will consider that you have accepted the changes. You may not modify this Agreement by making any typed, handwritten, or any other changes to it for any purpose.
If you contract for the use of the Services through an agent of theSimple and that contract provides for the payment of fees for the use of the Services to such agent, the provisions of this Agreement that relate to the payment for Services, including the remedies for the failure to pay for the Services are superseded by your agreement with our agent. Except as provided in the preceding sentence, this Agreement supersedes all other agreements related to the provision of the Services and, in the event of a conflict between the terms of this Agreement and any agreement between you and our agent, this Agreement shall prevail.
Note: This Agreement contains a binding arbitration provision in Section 11 that affects your rights under this Agreement with respect to all Services.
You will have accepted this Agreement and be bound by its terms if you use the Services or otherwise indicate your affirmative acceptance of such Services.
Subject to applicable law, we have the right to change our Services and rates or charges, at any time with or without notice. We also may rearrange, delete, add to or otherwise change features or offerings contained in the Services. If we do give you notice, it may be provided on your monthly bill, as a bill insert, in a newspaper or other communication permitted under applicable law. If you find a change in the Service(s) unacceptable, you have the right to cancel your Service(s). However, if you continue to receive Service(s) after the change, this will constitute your acceptance of the change. Please take the time to read any notices of changes to the Service(s). We are not liable for failure to deliver any Services except as provided in Section 9e.
You agree to allow us and our agents the right, to enter at reasonable times, and on reasonable notice, your property upon which the Services will be provided (the "Premises"), for purposes of installing, configuring, maintaining, inspecting, upgrading, replacing and removing the Services. You warrant that you are either the owner of the Premises or that you have the authority to give us access to the Premises. If you are not the owner of the Premises, you are responsible for obtaining any necessary approval from the owner to allow us and our agents into the Premises to perform the activities specified above. In addition, you agree to supply us or our agent, if we ask, the owner's name, address and phone number and/or evidence that the owner has authorized you to grant access to us and our agents to the Premises.
Responsibility: theSimple has no responsibility for the operation or support, maintenance or repair of any equipment, software or services that you elect to use in connection with the Services (the "Customer Equipment"). If theSimple certifies third party equipment as compatible with the Services, we will post a list of compatible equipment on our website at www.theSimple.com. The list of compatible equipment may be located at an alternative site if we so notify you. To use the Services, you will need one or more thermostats and, if required for the selected thermostat, a gateway that meets our specifications. Depending on availability in your area, you may have an option to install the thermostat and gateway yourself or to have theSimple or its agent install it for you. You agree to keep the thermostat and gateway connected, and your Internet connection active, at all times. Whether a thermostat, gateway/router, or other device is owned by you or us, we have the unrestricted right, but not the obligation, to upgrade or change the firmware in these devices remotely or on the Premises at any time that we determine it necessary or desirable in order to provide Services to you in accordance with our specifications and requirements.
1. Non-Recommended Configurations: Customer Equipment that does not meet theSimple's minimum technical or other specifications constitutes a "Non-Recommended Configuration." NEITHER THESIMPLE NOR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS OR AGENTS WARRANT THAT A NON-RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION WILL ENABLE YOU TO SUCCESSFULLY INSTALL, ACCESS, OPERATE OR USE THE SERVICES. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT ANY SUCH INSTALLATION, ACCESS, OPERATION, OR USE COULD CAUSE CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT TO FAIL TO OPERATE OR CAUSE DAMAGE TO CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT, YOU, YOUR PREMISES. NEITHER THESIMPLE NOR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS OR AGENTS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY SUCH FAILURE OR DAMAGE. theSimple reserves the right to deny you customer support for the Services and/or terminate Service(s) if you use a Non-Recommended Configuration.
2. No Unauthorized Devices or Tampering: You agree not to attach any unauthorized device to the Services. If you make any unauthorized connection or modification to the Services, we may terminate your Service and recover such damages as may result from your actions. Unless expressly authorized by us, you agree not to install anything to intercept or receive any of the Services offered to you or to assist any person in intercepting or receiving any of the Services offered to you. You also agree that you will not attach anything to the hardware used to provide the Services, whether installed by you or us, which singly or together impairs the integrity of our Services.
You agree that the Services will be used only by you and the members of your immediate household living with you at the same address and only for personal, residential, non-commercial purposes, unless otherwise specifically authorized by us in writing. You will not use the Services to manage energy usage at an address other than the Premises without our prior written authorization. You agree and represent that you will not resell or permit another to resell the Services in whole or in part. You will not use or permit another to use the Service(s), directly or indirectly, for any unlawful purpose, including, but not limited to, in violation of any posted theSimple policy applicable to the Services. Use of the Services for transmission, communications or storage of any information, data or material in violation of any U.S. federal, state or local regulation or law is prohibited.
You acknowledge that you are accepting this Agreement on behalf of all persons who use the Services and that you shall have sole responsibility for ensuring that all other users understand and comply with the terms and conditions of this Agreement and any applicable theSimple policies including, but not limited to, acceptable use and privacy policies. You further acknowledge and agree that you shall be solely responsible for any transactions, including, without limitation, purchases made through or in connection with the Services. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless theSimple and its affiliates, suppliers, and agents against all claims and expenses (including reasonable attorney fees) arising out of the use of the Services or the breach of this Agreement or any of the applicable theSimple policies by you or any other user.
This Agreement and the Services furnished hereunder may not be assigned by you. You agree to notify us immediately of any changes of ownership or occupancy of the Premises. We may freely assign our rights and obligations under this Agreement with or without notice to you.
7. Termination Of This Agreement
1. Term. This Agreement will be in effect from the time that charges begin to accrue on your accountuntil (i) it is terminated as provided for by this Agreement or by any addendum to this Agreement or (ii) it is replaced by a revised Agreement. Unless otherwise specified by theSimple or its agents, Service charges begin the day you activate the Service.
2. Termination by You. Unless you have signed a minimum term contract with theSimple or the theSimple agent from whom you obtain the Services (the "Service Provider"), you may terminate this Agreement for any reason at any time by notifying theSimpleor its Service Provderin one of three ways: (i) send a written notice to the postal address of theSimpleor the Service Provider;or (ii) send an electronic notice to the e-mail address specified on www.theSimple.com or provided by the Service Provider; or (iii) call our customer service line or the Service Provider's customer service line during normal business hours. Subject to applicable law or the terms of any agreements with governmental authorities, all applicable fees and charges will accrue until this Agreement has terminated, and the Services have been disconnected. We will refund all prepaid monthly service fees charged for Services after the date of termination (less any outstanding amounts due theSimple for the Services, or other applicable fees and charges).
3. Suspension and Termination by theSimple. Under the conditions listed below, theSimple reserves the right, subject to applicable law, to act immediately and without notice to terminate or suspend the Services and/or to remove from the Services any information transmitted by or to any authorized users (e.g., email or voicemail). theSimple may take these actions if it: (i) determines that such use or information does not conform with the requirements set forth in this Agreement, (ii) determines that such use or information interferes with theSimple's ability to provide the Services to you or others, (iii) reasonably believes that such use or information may violate any laws, regulations, or written and electronic instructions for use, or (iv) reasonably believes that such use or information interferes with or endangers the health and/or safety of our personnel or third parties. theSimple's action or inaction under this Section shall not constitute review or approval of your or any other users' use of the Services or information transmitted by or to you or users.
4. Your Obligations upon Termination.You agree that upon termination of this Agreement you will do the following:
5. You will immediately cease all use of the Services; and
6. You will pay in full for your use of the Services up to the date that this Agreement has been terminated and the Services are disconnected.
THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER THESIMPLE NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR CONTRACTORS WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES WILL DELIVER SPECIFIC RESULTS OR MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, PROVIDE UNINTERRUPTED USE, OR OPERATE AS REQUIRED, WITHOUT DELAY, OR WITHOUT ERROR. NEITHER THESIMPLE NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR CONTRACTORS WARRANT THAT ANY COMMUNICATIONS WILL BE TRANSMITTED IN UNCORRUPTED FORM. ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF PERFORMANCE, NONINFRINGEMENT, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR MERCHANTABILITY, ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED AND EXCLUDED UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
1. Application. The limitations of liability set forth in this Section apply to any acts, omissions, and negligence of theSimple and its underlying third-party service providers, agents and suppliers (and their respective officers, employees, agents, contractors or representatives) which, but for that provision, would give rise to a cause of action in contract, tort or under any other legal doctrine.
2. Customer Equipment. CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT MAY BE DAMAGED OR SUFFER SERVICE OUTAGES AS A RESULT OF THE INSTALLATION, SELF-INSTALLATION, USE, INSPECTION, MAINTENANCE, REPAIR, AND REMOVAL OF HARDWARE USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES. EXCEPT FOR GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILLFUL MISCONDUCT, NEITHER THESIMPLE NOR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR CONTRACTORS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY DAMAGE, LOSS, OR DESTRUCTION TO THE CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT. IN THE EVENT OF GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILLFUL MISCONDUCT BY THESIMPLE, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR CONTRACTORS, WE SHALL PAY AT OUR SOLE DISCRETION FOR THE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE DAMAGED CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT UP TO A MAXIMUM OF $500. THIS SHALL BE YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY RELATING TO SUCH ACTIVITY. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR COMPUTER OR OTHER DEVICES MAY NEED TO BE OPENED, ACCESSED OR USED EITHER BY YOU OR BY US OR OUR AGENTS, IN CONNECTION WITH THE INSTALLATION OR REPAIR OF THE SERVICES. THE OPENING, ACCESSING OR USE OF YOUR COMPUTER OR OTHER DEVICES USED IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR COMPUTER MAY VOID WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY THE COMPUTER OR DEVICE MANUFACTURER OR OTHER PARTIES RELATING TO THE COMPUTER'S OR DEVICE'S HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE. NEITHER THESIMPLE NOR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, OR AGENTS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER AS THE RESULT OF THE VOIDING OF ANY SUCH WARRANTIES.
3. Other Services or Equipment. BY ACCEPTING THIS AGREEMENT, YOU WAIVE ALL CLAIMS AGAINST THESIMPLE FOR INTERFERENCE, DISRUPTION, OR INCOMPATIBILITY BETWEEN THE SERVICES AND ANY OTHER SERVICE, SYSTEMS, OR EQUIPMENT. IN THE EVENT OF SUCH INTERFERENCE, DISRUPTION, OR INCOMPATIBILITY, YOUR SOLE REMEDY SHALL BE TO TERMINATE THE SERVICES IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 7.
4. Software. When you use certain features of the Services, such as online features (where available), you may require special software, applications, and/or access to the Internet.theSimple makes no representation or warranty that any software or application installed on Customer Equipment, downloaded from the Service, or available through the Internet does not contain a virus or other harmful feature. It is your sole responsibility to take appropriate precautions to protect any Customer Equipment from damage to its software, files, and data as a result of any such virus or other harmful feature. We may, but are not required to, terminate all or any portion of the installation or operation of the Services if a virus or other harmful feature or software is found to be present on your Customer Equipment. We are not required to provide you with any assistance in removal of viruses. If we decide, in our sole discretion, to install or run virus check software on your Customer Equipment, we make no representation or warranty that the virus check software will detect or correct any or all viruses. You acknowledge that you may incur additional charges for any service call made or required on account of any problem related to a virus or other harmful feature detected on your Customer Equipment. NEITHER THESIMPLE NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR CONTRACTORS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF ANY HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, FILES, OR DATA RESULTING FROM A VIRUS, ANY OTHER HARMFUL FEATURE, OR FROM ANY ATTEMPT TO REMOVE IT. In addition, as part of the installation process for the software and other components of the Service, system files on your Customer Equipment may be modified. theSimple does not represent, warrant or covenant that these modifications will not disrupt the normal operations of any Customer Equipment including without limitation your computer(s), or cause the loss of files. theSimple does not represent, warrant, or covenant that the installation of the special software or applications or access to our Web portal(s) will not cause the loss of files or disrupt the normal operations of any Customer Equipment, including but not limited to your computer(s). FOR THESE AND OTHER REASONS, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF BACKING UP ALL FILES TO ANOTHER STORAGE MECHANISM PRIOR TO SUCH ACTIVITIES. YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THE RISKS IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO BACK UP FILES. NEITHER THESIMPLE NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR CONTRACTORS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF ANY SOFTWARE, FILES, OR DATA.
5. Disruption of Service. The Services are not fail-safe and are not designed or intended for use in situations requiring fail-safe performance or in which an error or interruption in the Services could lead to severe injury to business, persons, property or environment ("High Risk Activities"). You expressly assume the risks of any damages resulting from High Risk Activities. We shall not be liable for any inconvenience, loss, liability, or damage resulting from any interruption of the ServicesIN NO EVENT SHALL COMPANY BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES FROM WHATEVER CAUSE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR WAGES. Any credits provided by theSimple are at our sole discretion and in no event shall constitute or be construed as a course of conduct by theSimple.
6. Third Parties. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, you acknowledge and understand that we may use third parties to provide components of the Services, including without limitation their services, equipment, infrastructure or content. theSimple is not responsible for the performance (or non-performance) of third-party services, equipment, infrastructure or content, whether or not they constitute components of the Services. theSimple shall not be bound by any undertaking, representation or warranty made by an agent or employee of theSimple or of our underlying third-party providers and suppliers in connection with the installation, maintenance or provision of the Services, if that undertaking, representation or warranty is inconsistent with the terms of this Agreement. In addition, you understand that you will have access to the services and content of third parties through the Service(s), including without limitation that of content providers (whether or not accessible directly from the Service). theSimple is not responsible for any services, equipment, infrastructure and content that are not provided by us (even if they are components of the Service), and we shall have no liability with respect to such services, equipment, infrastructure and content. You should address questions or concerns relating to such services, equipment, infrastructure and content to the creators of such services, equipment, infrastructure and content. We do not endorse or warrant any third-party products, services or content that are distributed or advertised over the Services.
7. Damages. EXCEPT AS SPECIFICALLY PROVIDED IN THIS AGREEMENT, NEITHER THESIMPLE NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR CONTRACTORS SHALL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES OR UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO TORT OR CONTRACT) HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO THE CUSTOMER OR TO ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY FOR THE FOLLOWING LOSSES, DAMAGES, OR COSTS: (i) ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, TREBLE, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES OR DAMAGES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF EARNINGS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES, PERSONAL INJURIES OR DEATH) THAT RESULT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH (a) YOUR RELIANCE ON OR USE OF THE SERVICES OR (b) THE INSTALLATION, SELF-INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE, FAILURE, OR REMOVAL OF THE SERVICES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, COMPUTER OR OTHER HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE BREACH, FAILURES OR MALFUNCTIONS, DELETION OR CORRUPTION OF FILES, WORK STOPPAGE, ERRORS, DEFECTS, DELAYS IN OPERATION, DELAYS IN TRANSMISSION OR FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE, OR THE CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT, OR ANY OTHER MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, LOSS OF INFORMATION OR DATA); OR (ii) ANY LOSSES, CLAIMS, DAMAGES, EXPENSES, LIABILITIES, LEGAL FEES, OR OTHER COSTS THAT RESULT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY ALLEGATION, CLAIM, SUIT, OR OTHER PROCEEDING BASED UPON A CONTENTION THAT THE USE OF THE SERVICES BY YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY INFRINGES UPON THE CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS, PRIVACY, CONFIDENTIALITY, COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADEMARK, TRADE SECRET, OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OF ANY THIRD PARTY.
8. Customer's Sole Remedies. Your sole and exclusive remedies under this Agreement are as expressly set forth in this Agreement. Certain of the above limitations may not apply if your state does not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties or does not allow the limitation or exclusion of incidental or consequential damages. In those states, the liability of theSimple and its employee, affiliates, suppliers, agents and contractors is limited to the maximum extent permitted by law.
9. Survival of Limitations. All representations, warranties, indemnifications, and limitations of liability contained in this Agreement shall survive the termination of this Agreement; any other obligations of the parties hereunder shall also survive, if they relate to the period before termination or if, by their terms, they would be expected to survive such termination.
YOU AGREE THAT YOU SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR AND SHALL DEFEND, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS THESIMPLE AND ITS EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, AGENTS AND CONTRACTORS AND SHALL REIMBURSE US FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSSES OR EXPENSES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, REASONABLE ATTORNEY'S FEES AND COSTS) INCURRED BY US IN CONNECTION WITH ANY CLAIMS, SUITS, JUDGMENTS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF (i) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE; (ii) VIOLATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS, PRIVACY, CONFIDENTIALITY, COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADEMARK, TRADE SECRET, OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND PROPRIETARY RIGHTS ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE OR ANY UNAUTHORIZED APPARATUS OR SYSTEM; AND (iii) YOUR BREACH OF ANY PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT.
1. Purpose. If you have a Dispute (as defined below) with theSimple that cannot be resolved through aninformal dispute resolution process, you or theSimple may elect to arbitrate that Dispute in accordance with the terms of this Arbitration Provision rather than litigate the Dispute in court. Arbitration means you will have a fair hearing before a neutral arbitrator instead of in a court by a judge or jury.
2. Definitions. As used in this Provision, the term "Dispute" means any dispute, claim or controversy between you and theSimple regarding any aspect of your relationship with theSimple that has accrued or may hereafter accrue, whether based in contract, statute, regulation, ordinance, tort (including, but not limited to, fraud, misrepresentation, fraudulent inducement, negligence or any other intentional tort), or any other legal or equitable theory, and includes the validity, enforceability or scope of this Arbitration Provision (with the exception of the enforceability of the class action waiver clause provided in paragraph F(2)). "Dispute" is to be given the broadest possible meaning that will be enforced. As used in this Provision, "theSimple" means theSimple, Inc., its officers, directors, employees and agents, and all entities using the brand name "theSimple", including, its employees, authorized agents, and its parents, subsidiaries and affiliated companies. As used in this Provision, the term "Arbitration Provision" means all the terms of this Section 13.
3. Right to Opt Out. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THIS ARBITRATION PROVISION, YOU MUST NOTIFY THESIMPLE IN WRITING WITHIN 30 DAYS FROM THE DATE THAT YOU FIRST RECEIVE THIS AGREEMENT BY MAIL TO THESIMPLE, 1775 WOODSIDE RD., SUITE 100, REDWOOD CITY, CA 94061ATTN: LEGAL DEPARTMENT/ ARBITRATION. YOUR WRITTEN NOTIFICATION TO THESIMPLE MUST INCLUDE YOUR NAME, ADDRESS AND THESIMPLE ACCOUNT NUMBER AS WELL AS A CLEAR STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH THESIMPLE THROUGH ARBITRATION. YOUR DECISION TO OPT OUT OF THIS ARBITRATION PROVISION WILL HAVE NO ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THESIMPLE OR THE DELIVERY OF SERVICES TO YOU BY THESIMPLE. IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY NOTIFIED THESIMPLE OF YOUR DECISION TO OPT OUT OF ARBITRATION, YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO SO AGAIN.
4. Initiation of Arbitration Proceeding/Selection of Arbitrator. If you or theSimple elect to resolve your Dispute with theSimple through arbitration pursuant to this Arbitration Provision, the party initiating the arbitration proceeding may select from the following arbitration organizations, which will apply the appropriate rules for consumer claims to arbitrate the Dispute:
5. American Arbitration Association ("AAA"), 335 Madison Ave., Floor 10, New York, NY 10017-4605, 1-800-778-7879, www.adr.org
6. National Arbitration Forum ("NAF"), P.O. Box 50191, Minneapolis, MN 55405-0191, 1-800-474-2371, www.arbitration-forum.com
7. Arbitration Procedures. Because the service provided to you by theSimple concerns interstate commerce, the Federal Arbitration Act ("FAA"), not state arbitration law, shall govern the arbitrability of all Disputes. However, applicable federal law or the law of the state where you receive the service from theSimple may apply to and govern the substance of any Disputes. Any state statutes pertaining to arbitration, however, shall not be applicable under this Arbitration Provision. If there is a conflict between this Arbitration Provision and the rules of the arbitration organization chosen, this Arbitration Provision shall govern. If the arbitration organization that you select will not enforce this Arbitration Provision as written, it cannot serve as the arbitration organization to resolve your dispute with theSimple. If this situation arises, the parties shall agree on a substitute arbitration organization. If the parties are unable to agree, the parties shall mutually petition a court of appropriate jurisdiction to appoint a service that will enforce the Provision as written. If there is a conflict between this Arbitration Provision and the rest of this Agreement, this Arbitration Provision shall govern. A single arbitrator will resolve the Dispute. You should know that participating in arbitration may result in limited discovery depending on the rules of the arbitration organization that is chosen to resolve the Dispute. The arbitrator will honor claims of privilege recognized by law and will take reasonable steps to protect customer account information and other confidential or proprietary information. The arbitrator will make any award in writing but need not provide a statement of reasons unless requested by a party. An award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court having jurisdiction over the parties for purposes of enforcement. If an award granted by the arbitrator exceeds $75,000, either party can appeal that award to a three-arbitrator panel administered by the same arbitration organization by a written notice of appeal filed within thirty (30) days from the date of entry of the written arbitration award. The members of the three-arbitrator panel will be selected according to the rules of the arbitration organization. The arbitration organization will then notify the other party that the award has been appealed. The three-arbitrator panel will issue its decision within one hundred and twenty (120) days of the date of the appealing party's notice of appeal. The decision of the three-arbitrator panel shall be final and binding, except for any appellate right that exists under the FAA.
9. YOU MUST CONTACT US WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR OF THE DATE OF THE OCCURRENCE OF THE EVENT OR FACTS GIVING RISE TO A DISPUTE (EXCEPT FOR BILLING DISPUTES WHICH ARE SUBJECT TO SECTION 3 OF THE AGREEMENT), OR YOU WAIVE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE ANY CLAIM BASED UPON SUCH EVENT, FACTS OR DISPUTE.
10. ALL PARTIES TO THE ARBITRATION MUST BE INDIVIDUALLY NAMED. THERE SHALL BE NO RIGHT OR AUTHORITY FOR ANY CLAIMS TO BE ARBITRATED OR LITIGATED ON A CLASS ACTION OR CONSOLIDATED BASIS OR ON BASES INVOLVING CLAIMS BROUGHT IN A PURPORTED REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY ON BEHALF OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC (SUCH AS A PRIVATE ATTORNEY GENERAL), OTHER SUBSCRIBERS, OR OTHER PERSONS SIMILARLY SITUATED UNLESS THE STATUTE UNDER WHICH YOU ARE SUING PROVIDES OTHERWISE.
11. ALL PARTIES WAIVE ANY CLAIM TO INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY OR MULTIPLIED DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR OUT OF ANY DISPUTE WITH THESIMPLE UNLESS THE STATUTE UNDER WHICH THEY ARE ASSERTING A CLAIMPROVIDES OTHERWISE.
12. Location of Arbitration. The arbitration will take place at a location, convenient to you, in the area where you receive the service from us.
13. Payment of Arbitration Fees and Costs. THESIMPLE WILL ADVANCE ALL ARBITRATION FILING FEES AND ARBITRATOR'S COSTS AND EXPENSES UPON YOUR WRITTEN REQUEST GIVEN PRIOR TO THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE ARBITRATION. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL ADDITIONAL COSTS THAT YOU INCUR IN THE ARBITRATION, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ATTORNEYS OR EXPERT WITNESSES. IF THE ARBITRATION PROCEEDING IS DECIDED IN THESIMPLE'S FAVOR, YOU SHALL REIMBURSE THESIMPLE FOR THE FEES AND COSTS ADVANCED TO YOU ONLY UP TO THE EXTENT AWARDABLE IN A JUDICIAL PROCEEDING. IF THE ARBITRATION PROCEEDING IS DETERMINED IN YOUR FAVOR, YOU WILL NOT BE REQUIRED TO REIMBURSE THESIMPLE FOR ANY OF THE FEES AND COSTS ADVANCED BY THESIMPLE. IF A PARTY ELECTS TO APPEAL AN AWARD TO A THREE-ARBITRATOR PANEL, THE PREVAILING PARTY IN THE APPEAL SHALL BE ENTITLED TO RECOVER ALL REASONABLE ATTORNEYS' FEES AND COSTS INCURRED IN THAT APPEAL. NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY IN THIS ARBITRATION PROVISION, THESIMPLE WILL PAY ALL FEES AND COSTS WHICH IT IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO PAY.
14. Severability. If any clause within this Arbitration Provision (other than the class action waiver clause identified in paragraph F(2)) is found to be illegal or unenforceable, that clause will be severed from the Arbitration Provision, and the remainder of the Arbitration Provision will be given full force and effect. If the class action waiver clause is found to be illegal or unenforceable, the entire Arbitration Provision will be unenforceable, and a court will decide the dispute. In the event that this entire Arbitration Provision is determined to be illegal or unenforceable for any reason, or if a claim is brought in a Dispute that is found by a court to be excluded from the scope of this Arbitration Provision, you and theSimple have each agreed to waive, to the fullest extent allowed by law, any trial by jury.
15. Exclusions from Arbitration. YOU AND THESIMPLE AGREE THAT THE FOLLOWING WILL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION: (1) ANY CLAIM FILED BY YOU OR BY THESIMPLE THAT IS NOT AGGREGATED WITH THE CLAIM OF ANY OTHER SUBSCRIBER AND WHOSE AMOUNT IN CONTROVERSY IS PROPERLY WITHIN THE JURISDICTION OF A COURT WHICH IS LIMITED TO ADJUDICATING SMALL CLAIMS; (2) ANY DISPUTE OVER THE VALIDITY OF ANY PARTY'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS; AND (3) ANY DISPUTE RELATED TO OR ARISING FROM ALLEGATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH UNAUTHORIZED USE OR RECEIPT OF SERVICE.
16. Continuation. This Arbitration Provision shall survive the termination of your service with theSimple. SPECIAL NOTE REGARDING ARBITRATION FOR CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: IF YOU ARE ANTHESIMPLE CUSTOMER IN CALIFORNIA, THESIMPLE WILL NOT SEEK TO ENFORCE THE ARBITRATION PROVISION ABOVE UNLESS WE HAVE NOTIFIED YOU OTHERWISE.
1. Electronic (including wired and wireless) communications through the Services may not be encrypted. You acknowledge that there is a risk that data, including email, electronic and wireless communications and personal data, may be accessed by unauthorized third parties when communicated between you and theSimple or between you and other parties.
3. To the extent that theSimple is expressly required to do so by applicable law, we will provide notice to you of a breach of the security of certain personally identifiable information about you. It is theSimple's information security policy to provide such notice to you in the manner set forth in Section 14.
1. Entire Agreement. This Agreement and any other documents incorporated by reference constitute the entire agreement and understanding between the parties with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement, and they replace any and all prior written or verbal agreements. If any portion of this Agreement is held to be unenforceable, the unenforceable portion shall be construed in accordance with applicable law as nearly as possible to reflect the original intentions of the parties, and the remainder of the provisions shall remain in full force and effect. If theSimple fails to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of this Agreement, it shall not thereby waive any provision or right. Neither the course of conduct between the parties nor trade practice shall act to modify any provision of this Agreement.
2. Additional Representations and Warranties. In addition to representations and warranties you make elsewhere in this Agreement, you also represent and warrant that:
3. Age: You are at least 18 years of age.
4. Customer Information: During the term of this Agreement, you have provided and will provide to theSimple information that is accurate, complete and current, including without limitation your legal name, address, telephone number(s), email address and payment data (including without limitation information provided when authorizing recurring payments). You agree to notify us promptly, in accordance with the terms of this Agreement, if there is any change in the information that you have provided to us. If you fail to provide and maintain accurate information, you will breach this Agreement.
5. Information Provided to Third Parties.theSimple is not responsible for any information provided by you to third parties, and this information is not subject to the privacy provisions of this Agreement or the privacy notice for the Services. You assume all privacy, security and other risks associated with providing personally identifiable information to third parties via the Services. For a description of the privacy protections associated with providing information to third parties, you should refer to the privacy policies, if any, provided by those third parties.
6. Revocable License. The Services, including but not limited to any firmware or software embedded in third party hardware, or Customer Equipment, or used to provide the Services, are protected by trademark, copyright, patent and/or other intellectual property laws and international treaty provisions. You are granted a revocable license to use such firmware and software in object code form (without making any modification thereto) strictly in accordance with this Agreement. You acknowledge and understand that you are not granted any other license to use the firmware or software embedded in the third party hardware, or Customer Equipment, or used to provide the Services. You shall not take any action nor allow anyone else to take any action that will reverse compile, disassemble, or reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to derive the source code from the binary code of the firmware or software.
7. Protection of theSimple's Information and Marks. All Service information, documents, and materials on our Web sites are protected by trademark, copyright or other intellectual property laws, and international treaty provisions. All Web sites, corporate names, service marks, trademarks, trade names, logos, and domain names (collectively "marks") of theSimple and its affiliates are and shall remain the exclusive property of theSimple. Nothing in this Agreement shall grant you the right or license to use any of the marks.
8. Export Laws. You expressly agree to comply with all applicable export and re-export laws, including but not limited to the Export Administration Act, the Arms Export Control Act, and their implementing regulations. You further expressly agree not to use the Services in any way that violates any provision of these export and re-export laws or their implementing regulations.
9. Retention of Rights. Nothing contained in this Agreement shall be construed to limit theSimple's rights and remedies available at law or in equity. Upon termination of this Agreement for any reason, theSimple and its suppliers reserve the right to delete all your data, files, electronic messages or other Customer information that is stored on theSimple's or its suppliers' servers or systems. We shall have no liability whatsoever as the result of the loss of any such data.
You agree to accept all communications from us regarding use of the Services at the addresses you provide during Registration. Please promptly update any changes to your registration information by using the "Update User Information" link associated with the Service. theSimple is entitled to rely on the email address and U.S. mail address that you last provided to us. You agree to waive all claims resulting from failure to receive communications because of changes in your email or U.S. mail address. From timetotime we would like to send you information about theSimple products and services. If you register for a Service, you are granting theSimple permission to communicate with you by email. You can opt not to receive such information from us in the future by following the instructions in any email that we send to you.
You agree to be bound by any affirmation, assent or agreement you transmit through the Services you access by computer or other electronic device, including internet, telephonic and wireless devices, including but not limited to any consent you give to receive communications from us solely through electronic transmission. You agree that, when in the future you click on an "I agree," "I consent" or other similarly worded "button" or entry field with your mouse, keystroke or other device, your agreement or consent will be legally binding and enforceable and the legal equivalent of your handwritten signature.